7.27.2008

Photo Shoot: DIY Bouquet

On Friday, I had my wedding shoot, you know ... so that I can have nice pictures of Mr.Flamingo and I, because our wedding photographer didn't deliver. I went all out, I went to the hairdresser and I got my makeup done like I was getting married all over again. (I feel a preview pic coming up....now!)


I realized I needed a bouquet for the shoot, but didn't feel like spending an arm and a leg for a fake wedding bouquet. Since I wanted to DIY my flowers for my wedding but that didn't fall through, I decided to attempt my first DIY bouquet, and I was really happy with the results.

I had peonies for my wedding blooms but that was out of the question for this DIY bouquet (they are no longer in season in July) so I opted for inexpensive off white minature carnations. Since they are full bodied flowers, when putting them together look very similar to peonies.

Here are the steps to making your own bouquet:

Materials:
1 - Flowers of your choice (miniature carnations - 9.99$)
2 - Floral tape (1.00$)
3 - Corsage pins (1.00$)
4 - Wide satin ribbon (2.79$)
5 - Scissors or Cutters (0$)


If you buy your flowers several days in advance, I would suggest putting them in a cool place. Since Mr.Flamingo LOVES the AC, our apartment was as cold as a freezer which was perfect for the flowers. If your fiance isn't an AC fanatic, best put the blooms in a fridge (preferably food free, otherwise your flowers will grab the smell of yesterdays meal.) I prepared my flower the day before the shoot that way, it was less work the day of.

Step 1: Remove all thorns, leaves or bruised petals on each stem. If you have more than once bloom per stem, you can separate them (but make sure you have a long enough stem (minimum 5 inches)


Step 2: Make clusters of about 5 bloom and wrap the stems with the floral tape. Make sure you stretch the floral tape so that it sticks well. Leave a good 1.5 inches of stems floral tape free. That way you can put them back in water and your flowers will have all the water they need which result in less withering.

Step 3: Once you've completed all your clusters, start bunching them together to make one big cluster. Use your floral tape to secure the clusters into one big handle. Again, leave a 1.5"-2" free at the bottom.

Step 4: Cut all the stems to the same length. Making a clean cut handle.


Step 5: Starting at the top, wrap your handle with the satin ribbon overlapping each turn. Once you've covered all the floral tape, take yours corsage pins and pick them in a angle (towards the floor) You can do any pattern you like, I simply went all the way down.



Voila your bouquet is done. Place your bouquet in water until the very last moment (when your ready to take your bridal pics) A professional looking bouquet for the fraction of the costs. My bouquet cost me only 14.00$ to make. Beats the florists 100-125$ fee don't you think?

No comments: