3.25.2008

Sash Bling - cuz the sash deserves it!!!

I started planning my wedding almost 2 years in advance, so it's only normal that I started buying stuff in advance. I pretty much have all my accessories down. It's too bad because last year I started making jewelry but I had already purchase my bridal jewelry. Oh well.

Every one asks me "Did you make your own necklace" then I say "No", "How come" then I have to explain. This happens every time. I love my jewelry, but if I wouldn't of been so early in my planning process I would of made it myself. Whats done is done. So instead I will make my bridal party their necklaces.

One accessory that I haven't purchased yet is my brooch. I wanted to tie my sash with a bling bling brooch but haven't found anything I liked. Then it hit me. Why not make my brooch. That is exactly what I did. So ladies... here is my DIY brooch. (with step by step instructions)

List of materials:
Cooper Wire (color of your choice)
Swarvoski beads (Small, Medium and one large piece)
Cutters
Pin (for backing of the brooch)
Round nose pliers (optional)




I purchased medium and small cone shaped swarvoski crystals in both greyish-taupe and clear color. I also purchased a galatic form which will be the center of the brooch.


Step 1:I prepared all my materials to be sure not to miss anything. Its really annoying when you have to go back and get something, or if you don't calculate your stuff correctly and you need to go back to the store.


Step 2: Using the copper wire, start making a base to your brooch. Its quite simple, simply pretend you are sewing. Make circular shapes and intertwine the wire in certain places as to ensure it is steady.

You should stop when you have a shape you like. It needs to be quite steady otherwise the weight of your stones might cause the brooch to bend. You should get something similar to the picture above.

Step 3: Now its time to incorporate the swarvoski beads. You do the same thing as when you were creating the nesting of the brooch. Simple loop and intertwine the wire but at the same time add beads to create a pretty shape.


Keep going until you have gone completely around the whole brooch. Verify that certain areas don't have huge gaps. No worries, this is error proof. If you are missing beads, simply go back and add more. Its a s simple as that.

Step 4: Now its time to add the back pin to the brooch. Using wire, simply "sew" it to the brooch using the base of the brooch. Go around several time to ensure it stays in place.

Voila! The brooch is done. Here is the final product. I must say I'm quite happy with it. Whats great is that if ever after the wedding, I don't want to keep it (I don't know why I wouldn't - but you never know) I can undo it and use the stone for a matching necklace and earring set. Recycle-cyle :)

Price breakdown:
Galactic Swarvoski stone = 6.75$
Medium sized Swarvoski stones : 4.90$ / dozen
Small sized Swarvoski stones : 1.85$ for 6
Cooper wire: 5.75$ huge roll (which I already had - for my other DIY projects)
Pin : 1.00$
-----------------
Total cost: 20.25 (in reality its about 18$)
Don't forget these are genuine Swarvoski Crystals. Its worth at least 60$

What do you think??? Is my brooch sash worthy?




No comments: