10.30.2007

Vendorzilla

I've been engaged for almost 3 years. Yup, I know it's a really long time, but when I got engaged, I wasn't really ready to take the plunge. Both for monetary reasons and because I felt I was still too young. Nonetheless, I started planning my wedding a good year and a half if not two years in advance. Yeah, I know that's a long time in advance, but I'm a very organized person and I wanted to get everything done as soon a possible. From choosing my theme, colors to my vendors.

I started calling vendors left and right to book appointments, I was not lucky when it came to the people I've called... so I have labeled every single one of them a VENDORZILLAs! I even made them an official logo!!!



Here are some of my vendorzilla stories- just to mention a few:

Reception site:
The first place I called for a reception site was a beautiful winery on an island. Perfect location for my vintage glam wedding. I spoke to the lady to schedule an appointment and we decided on a date. I received a call 2 weeks before the appointment I had booked 2 months prior to find out that they were doing renovations and I needed to change my appointment. This was understandable, so we moved the date. Next tentative date, 1 week before I receive a call saying that because of the snow storm, it was impossible to go the winery. Again, I understood... so we re-scheduled again. Next date is near by, 3 days before I receive again a call... and this time it was the hot weather which was the issue... the appointment was in march and they were afraid that the ice would melt. At this point I was fed-up!!! So this time I cancelled the appointment! What is this!?! Aren't they suppose to offer a service??? Don't I receive a call 4 months after the appointment I cancelled saying that they would be ready to see me??? Are you kidding me? That's almost 8 months from the first time I spoke to the lady...

Bridal dress shopping:
Being anxious to start dress shopping, I wanted to start trying on gowns. So I opened my phonebook and started making calls. The first place I called was Creations Vezina. They happened to be highly reputed for their service (according to some local brides in my area).When I asked the lady for an appointment to try on some dresses, she was extremely nice and opened up her appointment book. She took down all my information and asked me my wedding date. When I mentioned June 21st 2008 her tone of voice changed drastically. She refused to give me an appointment. I could understand that they don't want to waste their time with brides getting married over a year away, but I clearly mentioned I wanted to find my dress now. She still refused and told me to call back in 6 months from now. What kind of service is that?

Florist:
Now here is my florist story. I was still a year in advance at the time, but either way... I tried (even with all the crappy vendor stories). There was this one florist... who was so extremely rude. I called to make an appointment for my flowers, again she asked me when I was getting married. When I gave her the answer to the famous question, she said that she would not meet with me. I told her even though I was in advance I wanted to book my florist... now. She still said no! Then she started asking away "Well do you have your dress???" YES. "Well do you have your bridesmaid dresses?" YES "Well you need to do research!" YES, I am aware and I have. She was trying to find a way to prove that I wasn't ready enough... I almost wanted to hang up.

Oh and I have more... maybe I will do part 2 of Vendorzilla...
Have you had any vendorzilla stories???

No comments: