7.20.2008

I should of listen to my gut

My photographer is one of the first vendors I hired. I chose this company because I knew the owner, so I got a pretty good price. I looked at their work and it seemed nice at the time. Of course there were some imagery that I didn't really like, so I was clear and mentionned what I liked and disliked that first time around. Since I am a designer, I wanted to have all the high resolution images on a DVD. I also got all the rights to the photos, meaning that I don't need permission from them and I can do whatever I want with my photos. I also asked them not to edit my photos, and I would do it myself, so basically I was paying for the photographer.

Throughout the planning process, I realized that there were so many other photographers out there that I loved more than my own. Of course their work was more expensive then what I got my photographer for (1100$)... and being a budget bride and not wanting to loose my 300$ deposit, I decided to stick with my photographer. Basically... I should of listen to my gut and switched.

I was unsatisfied with his work. He seemed shy and didn't direct us in nice photography poses. Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful shots... but not enough. I mentioned that I wanted pictures of all the details. He took some detailed shots, but none of my bouquet, or the girls bouquet, of Mr.Flamingo superman cufflinks. I mean he stayed with Mr.Flamingo for 15 minutes... with a total of 20 photos and all the nice artsy pictures, Mr.Flamingo asked him to take. Then when it came time to take family pictures, we stayed at the same spot. We had beautiful spaces outside but he wasn't creative enough to give suggestions on what we should do. He didn't take pictures of me alone with my dress and certainly no fun pictures with the girls. I'm really disappointed. But thats not the worst part...

After the ceremony, Mr. Flamingo, the bridesmaids, the best man and myself, went to take some pictures. Obviously this was the time to take pictures of Mr.F and I. Well that didn't really happen. Out of all the photos, and that I mean from the ceremony to the first dance, we have only 5 nice pictures of us. Yes I am not kidding you 5 pictures. This is so devastating because its our wedding and we have no pictures of us. Plus, on your wedding day.... you shouldn't have to think about what pictures you should take because obviously you hired a photographer to do that... but thats not how I felt. It was like I was telling him what to do... so the pictures I didn't mention... well I didn't get. This is when you realized doing photo cards is the best idea ever!

Luckily one of my good friends just finished her photography course and is planning on starting her own business. Since she has nothing in her portfolio she offered to re-do a wedding shoot for FREE. She is really good and we have the same ideas and sense of style/creativity so I'm certain the pictures will be beautiful. I am happy that I get to retake some pictures of Mr.F and I, plus I get to wear my dress all over again... what fun! The only thing is that I won't have the same hair (because I did the after wedding chop) and I'm debating if I should get a bouquet done. But what Im really stoked about - I get to wear my birdcage veil that I had forgotten at home. Hurray for birdcage veils! The photo shoot will be some time this week... so Im excited about that. I hope things go well!

My piece of advice, make sure you do lots and lots of research before hiring your photographer. Many have pre-wedding shoots or engagement photos... this is a great thing, because you have an idea what the chemisty with your photographer will be like. And... if you feel that you won't like the person you hired, don't do the same mistake I did... switch (especially if your budget allows it) Pictures are once, and if they arent done right... you can't go back.

Were you disappointed with your photographer? Did you retake some pictures to compensate?

No comments: