2.11.2008

The Flamingo Ties...

As I was reading my previous posts, I realized that I haven't really given a background on my complicated flamingo family. I attempted to explain a bit during my January broadcast, let's just say that didn't work out very well. Lets get serious, I need to draw all of yous a picture. (Cuz I need visuals... and believe me you will need them too)

To give you an idea: My sisters aren't my sisters, My grandpa isn't my grandpa and my stepmother's bestfriends with my mom. For more detailed explanation look here.



Daddy flamingo got married with his high school sweetheart and had two girls. (Hence the blue and yellow make green concept) They divorced and daddy flamingo got custody of the two girls. (The girls were 5 and 2 at the time).

Then daddy flamingo met mommy flamingo (regardless of their 15 year gap), Mommy flamingo 19 at the time, took care of the two girls as though they were her own children. Two years later she had two girls, me and my younger sister. (I know, blue and red make purple, but that would be weird to change the color of my beautiful pink icon.) Technically the two older girls are my half-sisters, but since we were raised together the half doesn't even exist. We consider ourselves to be real sisters... we are so close and I love them all so much.

When I was 5 and my baby sister was 2 my parents got separated (For the record they never got married) Since my mom was not the biological mother of the 2 older girls, daddy flamingo kept them and my baby sister and I went with my mom. I must admit I took it very hard, but I was lucky since my parents never really fought even after the separation.

Daddy flamingo then met my step-mother (in gray) To be honest at first it was hard having someone labeled your step-mother. I always thought that meant something negative, like the wicked step-mother in Cinderella and her mini- sidekick Lucifer the cat.

Time pasted we all matured and then it happened. My mom became really close friends with my step-mom. I mean really close, to the point they go shopping together with my dad and they spend holidays together (example christmas, birthdays and all) This was extremely extremely strange at the beginning, but now its a blessing. How great is it to have all the people you love together laughing and in harmony. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

After my mom got separated with my dad, she met my step-father several years later. He had 2 boys from his first marriage, so the family grew extremely quick. They got married in 1997, but last year divorced. They were together for 14 years I think, so its only fair to say that he was a big part of my life. Since they separated they have kept a great relationship. Once in a while he comes over to my moms place. I'm even inviting him to my wedding and my mom is perfectly okay with that. (Lets just hope he won't bring a date - even if he did (which I personally don't think he will) my mom would be okay with it.... though I think it would be extremely awkward)

Then comes the other complicated part. I tried to draw a picture but didn't even know where to start. Hopefully my explanation will be good enough. My grandpa isn't my real grandpa. Mommy flamingo was adopted (temporarily) by her aunt and uncle (when she was 3 I believe). This was to help out my real grandmother because she recenlty divorce and need to get back on her feet . She asked her brothers and sisters to each take a child (they were 6) and off they went. My mom stayed the longest at her aunt and uncles house, until she was 16... so it was only normal that she considered her cousins - her brothers and sisters and her aunt and uncle her second parents. When I came into this world.... I considered them my grandparents regardless of the whole complicated logistics of it.

So I have 3 sets of grandparents, 2 mothers, 1 father and 3 sisters. If thats not complicated then I don't know what is. Luckily Mr.Flamingo's family is simple. Otherwise that would of been another post completely. Whats great about this is regardless... I will not have any issues with my guest list.

Am I the only one with complicated family ties? Do you have a reconstructed family? If so, hows that coming along? And are you having issues with the wedding guest list cuz of it?

No comments: