1.17.2008

The Venue adventure - Part 1

As soon as we set the date, Mr. Flamingo and I started searching for venue spots. I was really excited about the whole thing.... Mr.F let me do majority of the deciding on this one... but that's because he knew, subconsciously it would be best. :) Honestly, I was already picky with what type of site I wanted and so the search began...

First thing first, both Mr.F and I knew we didn't want to get married in the big city (Montreal - that is)... where everything seemed so cold to us. (Don't get me wrong - we heart Montreal) but we also live about 35 minutes away from the down town core... and we didn't want to go nuts on the travel the day of our wedding.

Secondly, we knew we didn't want a venue where more than one wedding occurred at the same time. It seemed impersonal to us, and frankly one of my biggest pet peeves is having one wedding party doing the Congo line into another wedding.

Images courtesy of :Be creative photography

Both daddy flamingo and sister flamingo got married at the same place, Congo line and all. Don't get me wrong, the Congo line is a classic in any wedding... but I don't want Congo line crashers at my wedding. Is it so wrong?

This is a picture of my sister flamingos (I'm in green) at the reception site when Daddy Flamingo got married (2 and a half years ago). Eldest sister Flamingo - in tangerine got married there too - (almost 5 years ago.)


They got married at the Sheraton Four Points Hotel - Near the Montreal Airport The place itself was nice... the food was good and the service was excellent - regardless, it wasn't the place for us - so that venue option was out of the question. I'm all into traditions... but this one stops here. Sorry ;)

Another thing we both agreed on, is not to have our reception in something we call here a sugar shacks / sugar house (Cabane à Sucre). These shacks are very popular, especially for french Quebecers, but I wanted a vintage glamour wedding... and there is no glam in there what so ever...Its more of a rustic and country style decor.

Mommy Flamingo got married in one of those when I was 13, and that was okay for her... but it certainly wasn't the place for our wedding. Again, I'm not passing on the tradition... sorry.

Next post... the places we visited.
Has anyone opted for the same reception site as their parents and/or siblings? Any special traditions which will be carried on to your wedding? Share them.. I'm really interested.

No comments: