7.30.2009

I'm not a photographer...

A couple of months ago, I was happy to find out that my cousin was getting married. What's funny is that I had never ever thought she would tie the knot, but admitted she did it for her fiance. Marriage was something very important to him and she knew she'd be with him forever... so why not make it officialy. A very nice gesture on her part I found.

They decided they wanted a really really really small wedding, 25 people tops. Heck I wasn't even invited (which was fine of course ;) ) They were planning a wedding in 6 months, and had a very little budget to make this wedding happen. Well 2 months ago, I received an email. She asked me if I would be willing to do both her makeup and be the official photog for her wedding. They weren't paying for a photographer so she thought that I would be a better candidate to take pics than say… uncle Bob.

Of course I said YES, I was actually honored that she asked me. I've had a photography background back in College but that was 6 years ago... so my photography skills were quite rusty. She lent me her Canon SX10-IS camera so that I would have time to play around with it. Let me say... it wasn't easy. I was more rusty then I thought. Luckily I did lots of research on the web.

Well the wedding was last weekend… and I was so freaken nervous. I was putting so much pressure on myself, that I vowed never to accept to be a photographer again. Don’t get me wrong I loved my experience but dang… I don’t need to have the nervous craps. I seriously bow down to all your photographers out there… (I have no clue how you do it! geez)

My cousin told me she just wanted say 40 good pics… Phew! I think were good. I took over 400… Now, Im in the process of editing them. Thats the long part... but with the Totally Rad Photoshop Actions ... its a breeze.


My advice if you ever decide on accepting an invitation to shoot a wedding.

BE PREPARED!!!!
Do lots and lots of research, and practice with the camera you will be using ahead of time. Even if you need to carry a little booklet with notes on what camera settings you used in which lighting... it will defintiely help you out. Oh and take at least 2 pictures per shot. To be sure at least one turns out.

TRY TO CONVINCE THEM TO HIRE A PRO
Explain to the couple that photography is something that takes time to learn and that its not because you have a camera you are automatically a photographer. Tell them that their wedding only happens once in their life (hopefully) and those moments are really really important. So slurging on a photographer is important. If they still ask you to take pictures after that... then go for it.

HAVE LOW EXPECTATIONS
I know this sounds bad... but make sure the person your shooting for knows your not a pro and that it IS huge possible the pictures don't turn out. Plus, if your expectations are low, you won't be disappointed if they are crappy... but on the contracty super excited if you did a good job.

HAVE FUN WITH IT - and drink a glass of wine of two
Once the day is finally here... theres not turning back (but you might wish it could; anyways I know I did) Relax, drink a glass of wine or two and simply have fun with it. It will definelty make the whole day so much more pleasant.

I’m not a photographer… but I did okay? Anyways I think so. :)
Good luck if your shooting a wedding... I wouldn't want to be in those shoes again. LOL

1 comment:

Stephanie Lynn said...

Hi there -
I just happened across your blog and wanted to say these photos are so great! Those votives by the guest book are so gorgeous!!! Where on earth did she find them!?